The 4 ingredients needed are:
- Builder’s sand
- Wood ash – I get the ash from my wood stove and take out the larger charcoal pieces with a cat litter scooper.
- Soil – If you are purchasing soil, make sure it is fertilizer, chemical and vermiculite free.
- Diatomaceous Earth Facts – Make sure it is FOOD-GRADE (not for use in pools). The bag MUST read for livestock feed.
Add equal parts of each ingredient to the mixture. The hens are using the dust bath if:
- You find some of the “bath” contents on the coop floor.
- You see them nestled up together in the bath throwing dirt on each other.
- They are free ranging and suddenly shake from comb to feet and a cloud of dust emerges around your chickens.