The 4 ingredients needed are:
- Builder’s sand
- Wood ash – I get the ash from my wood stove and take out the larger charcoal pieces with a cat litter scooper.
- Soil – If you are purchasing soil, make sure it is fertilizer, chemical and vermiculite free.
- Diatomaceous Earth Facts – Make sure it is FOOD-GRADE (not for use in pools). The bag MUST read for livestock feed.
Add equal parts of each ingredient to the mixture. The hens are using the dust bath if:
- You find some of the “bath” contents on the coop floor.
- You see them nestled up together in the bath throwing dirt on each other.
- They are free ranging and suddenly shake from comb to feet and a cloud of dust emerges around your chickens.
Design this new chicken feeder for crumble type feed. It is adjustable for any sized feed with the two wing nuts. Can store a bag of feed at a time.
1 – 3/8″ X 1′ x 4′ Plywood
1 – 3/4″ x 6″ x 9 1/4″ pine board
1 – 3/4″ x 4″ x 24″ pine board
1 – 3/4″ x 10″ x 18″ pine board
2 – 2 1/2″ bolts, washers and wing nuts
Made a new leg for my Purina Chicken Feeder. I used a steel electric post, a vise and some heat. One of the many things I learned how to do on the farm from Dad and Grandpa. I miss the farm’s shop with a cutting torch, welder, grinder and big anvil, but I got it done! Not to bad and it works as good as new.